BY WARREN RAPPLEYEAStaff Writer Holmdel’s Maryana Milchutsky moves down to second singles this year to make room for nationally ranked Jackie Wu, whose addition to the squad makes the Hornets the team to beat in the Shore Conference, and possibly the state. With a talented group of returnees and the addition of nationally ranked Jackie Wu, the Holmdel High School girls tennis team has its sights set on the state championship. With the devastating one-two punch of Wu and Maryana Milchutsky at first and second singles, respectively, the Hornets are off to a 3-0 start, having defeated Wall, Rumson-Fair Haven and Raritan. “We’ve set our goals very high,” coach Chuck Chelednik said. “We have a lot of experience, and two of the toughest first and second singles in the state.” Wu, a sophomore, is a top-notch all-around player who sat out last year to concentrate on U.S. Tennis Association tournaments. She boasts a strong, accurate service, excellent ground strokes and is very quick on the courts. She is 2-0 thus far. Milchutsky, another soph, is already 3-0 after going 17-3 at first singles last fall. Her long reach, persistence and ability to keep the ball in play frustrates opponents. Junior Stephanie Sher, who picked up 14 wins a year ago, holds down the third singles spot and is 2-1 in the early going. An accurate serve and consistent backhand are Sher’s calling cards. Chelednik split up his top doubles pair from last season, seniors Rose Yan and Jessica Liu who won 14 matches, in order to solidify both doubles teams. Yan is paired with senior Renee Lee, and they have combined for a 3-0 mark. Lie and junior Arshia Chattergee are 2-0 in the second slot. In addition, freshmen Jen Lee and Lisa Yan have earned a win at second doubles. Other members of the team include senior Debbie Chung, juniors Amanda Lee and Amanda Liu; sophomores Morgan Chen and Ling Hong; and freshmen Anne Chen and Stephanie Huang. Last year, the Hornets went 18-3 overall and tied Manasquan for the Shore Conference’s A Central crown. Holmdel also reached the semifinals of the NJSIAA Central Jersey Group III tournament before losing to West Morris. The Hornets were slated to host division-rival Manasquan on Monday and will be home this afternoon against St. John Vianney. While the Hornets are considered the team to beat in the Shore this fall, they will certainly be tested by their Class A Central rivals Manasquan. Manasquan also has several top players back from last year’s 18-3 squad, but may not have the depth to compete with Holmdel. Hornets feature state BY WARREN RAPPLEYEA Staff Writer
Ai-Ai delas Alas on Jiro Manio: ‘Sana pinahalagahan niya ang naitulong ko’ Different thingsBut when asked Tuesday at Augusta National how that was any different from playing a round with Trump after the US President’s comments about sexual assault and other controversies, McIlroy admitted, “It’s a difficult one.”But he said Muirfield members and the US President were “two completely different things” and did not defend Trump’s remarks.Trump’s presidential campaign was nearly derailed last year by sexual harassment charges and his boasts about groping women.“I’ve spent time in President Trump’s company before and that does not mean that I agree with everything he says. Actually the opposite,” McIlroy said.“We were never in a day and age where we could say those things, but some thought it was appropriate.”ADVERTISEMENT Marcos monument beside Aquino’s stirs Tarlac town On the edge of America, census begins in a tiny Alaska town Palace: Crisis over ABC-CBN franchise unlikely Filipinos turn Taal Volcano ash, plastic trash into bricks PLAY LIST 01:40Filipinos turn Taal Volcano ash, plastic trash into bricks01:32Taal Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite LATEST STORIES SpaceX launches, destroys rocket in astronaut escape test Panelo: Duterte only wants to emulate strong political will of Marcos Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Presidency bid needs ‘deep reflection’ – Sara Duterte Pacers boost playoff hopes with comeback over Raptors MOST READ McIlroy said he wanted to see the scene around Trump and that no political issues came up as they toured the Trump-owned layout.“Whenever an invitation or a request comes my way, I don’t want to say I jump at the chance, but at the same time, to see the Secret Service, to see the scene, I mean, that’s really what I was going for,” McIlroy said.“There was not one bit of politics discussed in that round of golf. He was more interested talking about the grass that he just put on the greens.”McIlroy had remarked that he had enjoyed a quiet run-up to the year’s first major tournament, which starts Thursday at Augusta National with top-ranked Dustin Johnson as the favorite after three wins in a row.“It has been a relatively quiet buildup to the Masters for me, which has been quite nice,” McIlroy said. “It’s made a bit of a change from the last couple of years, especially ’15, coming off the back of two major wins in a row and going for the career Grand Slam.“Obviously this year, with Dustin winning three times, he’s the form player right now… I don’t feel like I can fly under the radar anymore, but at the same time, it has sort of felt that way to me and it has been nice to be able to prepare and just go about my business and try to get ready for this tournament.”Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next “I felt I would have been making more of a statement if I had turned it down,” McIlroy said. “It’s not a tough place to be put in, but it was a round of golf and nothing more.“Would I do it again? After the sort of backlash I received, I’d think twice about it.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSEnd of his agony? SC rules in favor of Espinosa, orders promoter heirs to pay boxing legendSPORTSBreak new groundSPORTSMcGregor blasts Cerrone in 40 seconds in UFC returnMcIlroy decision to play golf with Trump, whose statements about women have raised eyebrows, contrasted sharply with his own pro-women stand against members of Muirfield golf club in Scotland who disapprove of allowing women members.Muirfield voted 80% in favor of admitting women earlier this year, but McIlroy said it was “obscene” that some had voted against the motion, noting “I won’t be having many cups of tea with the members.” Canadian military mobilized to help Newfoundland dig out Dozens wounded as Iraqi protesters up pressure on government Rory McIlroy of Northern Ireland reacts during a practice round prior to the start of the 2017 Masters Tournament at Augusta National Golf Club on April 4, 2017 in Augusta, Georgia. Rob Carr/Getty Images/AFPRory McIlroy would “think twice” about playing another round with US President Donald Trump after the backlash he received from a February round at Trump International in Florida.Four-time major winner McIlroy, trying to complete a career grand slam by winning the Masters, said he felt at the time that turning down Trump’s invitation would have been a worse option.ADVERTISEMENT View comments
The Neymar transfer has engendered controversy in Catalonia and forced the resignation of Barca’s former president Sandro Rosell owing to a judicial wrangle over the deal.The transfer cost 57.1 million euros, plus a 2-million-euro bonus if the 21-year-old star makes the finals of the FIFA World Player of Year award.Neymar also will earn an annual salary of 11.3 million euros to be paid over five years.His father denied media reports that he had himself earned 40 million euros on the deal via family firm N&N for last May’s transfer, which just preceded Brazil’s Confederations Cup success.“Neymar could only leave Santos to go to Barcelona. My job was to safeguard and reinforce the gain,” said Neymar senior, adding he could easily have earned a bigger cut.“I am sure I could have picked up 120 million (euros). (But) it is absurd for people to talk when they don’t know the details and I did not receive a 40 millions euro advance,” he insisted.Spanish lawyers are now poring over the terms of the deal after a Barcelona club member made a complaint.According to the Spanish court resolution released last week, Barca paid 40 million euros to N&N for breaking a previous agreement to sign Neymar in 2014 and sign him a year earlier.Barcelona said the entire deal cost 86.2 million euros: 57.1 million euros for the transfer, 10 million euros in a signing bonus, 2.7 million euros in commissions, 4.0 million in marketing, 2.5 million for Neymar’s foundation and 9.9 million euros in scouting and collaborative deals.Barca say Neymar’s father agreed to let the club reveal the deal details because he believed the scandal over the signing was “unfair”.Rosell stepped down on Thursday and was replaced by Josep Maria Bartomeu, who made the details public.0Shares0000(Visited 3 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000SAO PAULO, January 29 – The father of Brazil star Neymar denied signing a pre-contract with Barcelona until his son had left Santos for the Liga giants– but did admit to receiving 10 million euros ($13.6 million) in 2011 to guarantee a move by 2014.Denying any irregularities Neymar senior told a press conference in Santos: “I asked Barcelona to drop confidentiality (concerning a contract) so everything was transparent and clean. I don’t owe anything.”
Harry Redknapp has told Raheem Sterling to stop messing around and sign a new Liverpool contract.The starlet is stalling over a new £90,000 a week deal amid reported interest from Real Madrid, but Redknapp says he should feel ‘lucky’ to be at Anfield and will be making a big mistake if he decides not to commit to the Merseyside club.Asked what advice he would give the 20-year-old about his future on the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast, the ex-Tottenham and QPR boss said: “Sign your contract. You are at a great club, you are playing regularly, you have become an England international, you’re learning the game.“Have another two or three years of playing as you are now, keep taking your game on and you will get the rewards. The money is there anyway, but you will be up there with the top earners in the world in another two or three years if you keep progressing.“You are at a fantastic club, one of the best football clubs in the world. You are lucky to be playing at a club like Liverpool. Get your nut down, do your job, and the rewards will keep coming.”
West Ham striker Andy Carroll has an ankle injury and faces a possible lengthy absence, Press Association Sport understands.Carroll has been linked with a move to Premier League champions Chelsea, but now any move in January appears to be unlikely after a scan revealed the severity of the injury on Thursday.Surgery is among the options being considered and if the 29-year-old underwent an operation he would be out for months, rather than weeks.Hammers boss David Moyes is likely to address the matter in his media conference on Friday ahead of Saturday’s Premier League clash at home to Bournemouth.Carroll has not played since 4 January against Tottenham.Moyes was at Chelsea’s FA Cup replay against Norwich on Wednesday night, apparently watching Belgium striker Michy Batshuayi.Batshuayi scored Chelsea’s first goal in more than five hours, but his overall performance was underwhelming as he frequently squandered possession. Andy Carroll’s latest injury is likely to mean his Chelsea transfer is off 1
Mauricio Pochettino admits Tottenham’s players were hit by a virus last week but insisted that was no excuse for their sloppy display against Southampton.Christian Eriksen was a surprise absentee from the Spurs squad as he and Hugo Lloris were both struck down by illness and unable to travel to the south coast.Harry Kane cancelled out Davinson Sanchez’s own-goal but a below-par Tottenham were held to a 1-1 draw and missed the chance to move into the Premier League’s top four.They will fall five points behind Liverpool if Jurgen Klopp’s men beat Swansea on Monday.Pochetttino, who took his team on a warm-weather training camp to Barcelona last week, would not name the players affected by illness as he maintained they had all recovered.“A few players were affected last week but it’s not an excuse,” Pochettino said.“We are disappointed because our game wasn’t great, our performance wasn’t the best. The game was even and full credit to Southampton because they fight and play well.“I think it is a fair result in the end, 1-1. There were massive chances we had in the last minute with Harry Kane but at the end if you analyse the game it’s a fair result.”Pochettino also referenced the bobbling pitch at St Mary’s, which contributed to an attritional match, full of loose touches and misplaced passes.Spurs now find themselves in danger of losing touch with the Champions League spots, ahead of three crunch league games against Liverpool, Manchester United and Arsenal.“Of course they will be important for us,” Pochettino said.“It is important if we are going to take points and win the games, be sure that we are going to fight and if not, it will be difficult.”Pochettino refused to be drawn on more reports linking Kane with a move to Real Madrid and also played down the club’s chances of making new signings this month.“The other clubs find a way to sign players that can improve and help their team and squads,” Pochettino said.“Nothing to say but for us it is difficult and will be difficult for different reasons. It is obvious.” Spurs missed their chance to move into the top four 1
Sessions for K-2 will be at 11AM – 12PM and the camp for Grades 3-5 will be from 12:15 – 1:15p. Brown said the Salem Lion Basketball Camp is designed to provide each player with a basic understanding of the fundamentals of team basketball. The cost is $25.00 for each camper and all participants will receive a t-shirt, andinstruction. DOWNLOADABLE FORMS BELOW Form and fee can be turned in on the first day of camp. There will be two sessions for Grades 6-8 at 1:30 and 2:30p. Send a text to reserve a spot in camp – Name, grade, shirt size to: 812-653-3251 Concepts will be taught by Coach Brown & members of the boys coaching staff. SHS Head Basketball Coach Mike Brown will be offering a summer basketball camp for boys in grades Kindergarten through 8th grades on JULY 10 – 13 in the Salem Auxiliary Gym. camp form JH 2018camp form elem 2018
The top two both lost in Division One of the Leitrim Senior League last night.Leaders Glencar/Manor were beaten by two points away to Mohill, while second-placed Ballinamore lost to St Mary’s.Elsewhere, Drumkeerin lost by a point to Fenagh, Gortlettragh beat Ballinaglera, Melvin Gaels went down to Aughawillan, and Aughnasheelin moved off the bottom with their defeat of Leitrim Gaels.In Division Two, Dromahair drew with Allen Gaels and Cloone beat Bornacoola.In Sligo, St Molaise Gaels beat St Mary’s to win the U16 Cup final in Scarden.
The classic musical Grease is on at Cape Town’s Artscape Theatre until 11 April. Catch a glimpse of the show, and hear from some of the actors who bring its timeless characters to life.Click arrow to play video.Published on SouthAfrica.info on 24 March 2010.