TagsTransfersAbout the authorAnsser SadiqShare the loveHave your say Ljungberg primed to takeover at Arsenal if Emery departsby Ansser Sadiq9 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveArsenal legend Freddie Ljungberg could be the man to take on the managerial job at the club next season.The Gunners are not thinking about sacking coach Unai Emery imminently.But the Spaniard is on thin ice, as fans are unhappy with the team’s performances so far this season.If Arsenal do not finish in the top four or win the Europa League, Emery would likely depart.And notoriously reliable journalist David Ornstein, who works for The Athletic, claims the club see Ljungberg as the natural successor to Emery.He said: “Freddie is highly-rated by the players and staff, and the logical feeling is he would take temporary charge if anything happened with Emery.”He has ‘number one’ ambitions of his own and won’t hang around somewhere for too long if he doesn’t think the opportunity will come.”
LeBron James Ohio StateCleveland Cavaliers superstar LeBron James is a known Ohio State fan. Apparently, he also roots for Buckeyes alums at the next level, too.After former Ohio State running back Carlos Hyde, now a San Francisco 49er, lit up the Minnesota Vikings for 168 yards and two touchdowns, James reached out via FaceTime to congratulate him. Via 49ers.com:In a recent sit-down interview, the San Francisco 49ers running back said that besides hearing from his mom, his favorite postgame call or text came from a certain NBA superstar.“I heard from LeBron James. Me and LeBron have the same trainer, David Alexander, down in Miami,” Hyde said. “After the game I FaceTime’d LeBron and my trainer. They were super hyped.”Here’s the move Hyde pulled that set social media on fire. It was very similar to what OSU wideout Braxton Miller did week one against Virginia Tech.pic.twitter.com/ixWnSqMZRe— BRAXTON MILLER (@BraxtonMiller5) September 15, 2015It’s been quite a week for the former Buckeye. What will he do for an encore?
SOUTH BEND, IN – SEPTEMBER 17: The Notre Dame Fighting Irish mascot carries the school flag on the field before the game against the Michigan State Spartans on September 17, 2005 at Notre Dame Stadium in South Bend, Indiana. (Photo by Elsa/Getty Images)Last week, Notre Dame unveiled its ‘Shamrock Series’ uniforms for this year’s game against Navy – and suffice to say, most fans weren’t impressed. One graphic designer came up with a different take on the event, and we imagine Fighting Irish supporters will like it a bit better.Next Gen Uniforms released a concept uniform that focuses on green and gold. It includes Notre Dame’s interlocking logo on the helmet and stripes on the shoulders. It’s a clean look. Notre Dame fans – what do you think?
TORONTO – Freshii Inc. has withdrawn its fiscal 2019 outlook after widely missing analyst third-quarter forecasts.The company says it is rescinding next year’s guidance due to challenges the Toronto-based restaurant chain is experiencing in achieving its forecasted store growth, sales, expenses and earnings.The company, which reports in U.S. dollars, says its net loss attributable to shareholders was $459,000 or one cent per share during the period ended Sept. 30. That’s compared with a $514,000 or two cents per share loss a year earlier.Sales for restaurants open at least a year, a key retail metric, decreased 0.8 per cent compared with a same-store sales growth of 5.1 per cent in the third quarter of 2017.Total revenues increased 27 per cent to $5.6 million, from $4.4 million a year earlier as it added 10 net new locations.Freshii was expected to earn four cents per share on $6.07 million in revenues, according to analysts polled by Thomson Reuters Eikon.Believing Freshii’s share price doesn’t fully reflect its value, the company plans to buy back up to 10 per cent of its 25.6 million shares over the next year.The company had expected up to $285 million in sales from as many as 760 stores within the next year or so, up from its current count of 431 franchised and company-owned locations.Companies in this story: (TSX:FRII)
BEIJING — The Latest on China-U.S. trade and the tariffs battle between the two biggest economies (all times local):11:55 a.m.China’s politically sensitive trade surplus with the United States surged to a record $323.3 billion in 2018 as a tariff battle with Washington intensified.Customs data released Monday show exports rose 11.3 per cent to $478.4 billion despite President Donald Trump’s punitive tariffs in a fight over Chinese technology ambitions. Imports of American goods rose just 0.7 per cent over 2017. That reflects the impact of Beijing’s retaliatory tariffs and encouragement to importers to buy more from non-U.S. suppliers.However, the data show December exports to U.S. contracted 3.5 per cent compared with year ago as Trump tariff hikes hit.China’s global exports rose 7.1 per cent to $2.5 trillion, down from the 7.9 per cent rate reported earlier for 2017. Imports rose 12.9 per cent to $2.1 trillion, down from the previous year’s 15.9 per cent.The country’s global trade surplus was $352 billion.___10:30 a.m.China’s government reports 2018 exports rose 7.1 per cent as a trade battle with Washington intensified, while imports were up 12.9 per cent.Monday’s announcement comes as Beijing tries to reverse a decline in economic growth while facing a potential fall-off in American orders for Chinese goods following President Donald Trump’s tariff hikes in the fight over China’s technology ambitions.Chinese exporters also face pressure from cooling consumer demand in other global markets.The Associated Press
New Delhi: The Supreme Court Thursday said it will first decide on the preliminary objections raised by the Centre that the documents on which it was claiming “privilege” cannot be relied upon to re-examine the verdict in the Rafale fighter jet deal with France. “Only after we decide the preliminary objection raised by the Centre, we will go into other aspect of the review petitions,” said a bench headed by Chief Justice Ranjan Gogoi. The bench, also comprising Justices S K Kaul and K M Joseph said that “only if we overrule the preliminary objection, we will go into other details”. At the outset, Attorney General K K Venugopal, claimed privilege over documents pertaining to the Rafale fighter jet deal with France and said those documents cannot be considered in evidence as per Section 123 of the Indian Evidence Act. He contended that no one can produce them in the court without the permission of the department concerned as those documents are also protected under the Official Secrets Act and there disclosure is exempted under the Right to Information Act as per Section 8(1)(a). The Centre objected to the admissibility of those documents annexed by former Union ministers Yashwant Sinha and Arun Shourie as also activist lawyer Prashant Bhushan in their review petition against the apex court’s December 14 judgement dismissing all petitions against the Rafale jet deal. Bhushan said the Centre’s objections were “mala fide and totally untenable arguments”. The bench said that “argument on the preliminary issue and the claim of privilege raised by the Government of India is reserved”. It noted further that according to the AG’s submissions “there are three Rafale documents whose publication comes under Official Secrets Act, 1923. These documents were unauthorisedly published. You claim privilege under section 123 of Evidence Act. You want us to adjudicate and strike down the review on this basis”. After the submission of Venugopal, the bench asked Bhushan, who was appearing for Sinha, Shourie and himself, that he has the right to reply in writing to the affidavit filed by the Centre on Wednesday.
Kendukona (Assam): Prime Minister Narendra Modi Thursday slammed the Congress for indulging in corruption and said a new scam “Tughlaq Road Chunav Ghotala” by it has come to the fore. In the new scam crores of rupees meant for nutrition of poor children and expectant mothers have been seized even even as old cases of corruption against it are still on, he told an rally here. The “naamdari parivar” (famed family) is engaged in corruption and has made it a way a life for which its members are now on bail, but they call the “chowkidar a chor”, he said. “There is a Tughlaq Road in Delhi and there is a bungalow there where a big leader lives. During the last few days, a game involving several crores of rupees is being played. Sack loads of currency notes are being recovered from those people who are connected with this bungalow,” he said. “This is the Tughlaq Road Chunav Ghotala and Congress indulges in corruption to win elections … If they do not loot, how will they fight elections ? Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Kamal Nath has a bungalow in Tughlaq Road in the national capital and the homes of his former private secretary Praveen Kakkar in Indore and former advisor Rajendra Kumar Miglani in Delhi were raided by income tax officers on April 7 in connection with an alleged hawala (illegal transaction) case. “It is a sin to vote for such people,” Modi said adding Congress has compromised the security of the nation by demanding proof of attack on terrorist camps in Pakistan. Criticising the Congress for indulging in vote bank politics, Modi said had it wanted they could have solved the problems in Assam and Jammu and Kashmir after the 1971 Indo-Pak war. “But they kept the issues burning deliberately for their vested interests.” The Congress allowed infiltration to ensure that their vote bank remained intact. “But this chowkidar will ensure that infiltration is stopped to protect the interests of the people of Assam and North East … We will ensure Indo-Bangla border fencing is completed soon, that there are no names of foreigners in the National Register of Citizens and no genuine Indians are left out,” he added.
Lucknow: Hitting out at senior SP leader Azam Khan for his derogatory remarks on her, BJP’s Rampur Lok Sabha seat candidate Jaya Prada, Monday said he has transgressed the ‘lakshman rekha’ and is no longer her brother. Khan, without taking names, on Sunday had said it took “you 17 years to understand her reality” but, “I could recognise it in 17 days that she wears a khaki underwear”. The BJP claimed that the comment was made against Prada, who is fighting the Lok Sabha polls against the Samajwadi Party (SP) leader. Also Read – Uddhav bats for ‘Sena CM’ “(He has) crossed the lakshman rekhaa (his limits) this time. He is no longer a brother to me. I had considered him as my brother and tolerated everything, but now I cannot tolerate (this),” she told reporters in Rampur. The actor-turned-politician also said the people will give an answer as people respect women. “What is this man doing? Does he have the right to contest polls? I appeal to the Election Commission that he should not be allowed to contest the polls, he is not eligible to contest the polls,” she said. Also Read – Farooq demands unconditional release of all detainees in J&K Khan had told a an election rally in Rampur, “… you got represented (by her) for 10 years.” “People of Rampur, people of Uttar Pradesh and people of India, it took you 17 years to understand her reality. But, I could recognise it in 17 days that she wears a khaki underwear, he had said. The video of Khan’s purported speech was also doing the rounds on various social media platform. Seeking an answer from SP chief Akhilesh Yadav, Prada said, “I am asking Akihlesh, whether you will allow such a person to contest the polls. Shame. He (Khan) should be expelled.” Rampur goes to polls in the third phase of the Lok Sabha elections on April 23. Prada also cited a Sanskrit shloka and said that “a family in which women are revered or given due respect, that family is blessed with divine qualities, divine food and children, and a family in which women are not revered, all their work bears no result”. Taking note of news reports, the National Commission for Women Monday strongly condemned the “extremely derogatory” remarks made by SP leader Khan against Prada and issued a show cause notice to him.
Los Angeles: Christian Garin claimed his first ATP title on Sunday, weathering a solid challenge from Casper Ruud to post a three-set win in the final of the US Men’s Clay Court Championships. The 22-year-old Garin, who is part of the ATP’s next generation of stars, beat Ruud 7-6 (7/4), 4-6, 6-3 and becomes the first Chilean to win an ATP Tour title since Fernando Gonzalez in 2009. “Casper is a great player I am sure we will play many more finals against each other,” said Garin, who improved his clay court record to 11-3 in 2019. “This is my favourite tournament now and I hope to come back next year.” Garin also won their only previous career meeting last month in Sao Paulo, Brazil and earned his first title in just his 11th career tournament. Not only did Garin pick up the winner’s check Sunday but he will play in his first French Open next month in Paris. Garin reached the final by defeating American Sam Querrey 7-6 (7/2), 6-2. But his road to the final wasn’t easy. He was pushed to three sets in his opening match against Pablo Cuevas of Uruguay and saved five match points to defeat second seed Jeremy Chardy of France in the second round. Ruud, 20, was seeking to become the first Norwegian to win an ATP Tour title. Ruud’s father, Christian, was the last player from Norway to reach an ATP Tour finishing runner-up in 1995 at Bastad, Sweden. Christian Ruud competed on the Tour for a decade. Like Garin, Ruud has been impressive on clay this season. He reached the quarter-finals in February at the Rio Open and then advanced to the semi-finals at the Brazil Open.
Then again, fans weren’t exactly being treated to great hockey — and the trade of star Ron Francis and the talk of relocation didn’t help to build goodwill either. In the 1989-90 season, the Whalers had a slightly above-average 38-33-9 record and also earned slightly above-average revenues. But things went underwater from there: the Whalers never had a winning season again.The question is whether the Islanders would be better off with one-eighth of a loaf in New York or a market to themselves in Connecticut. Considering the popularity of the New York Rangers (and the presence of the New Jersey Devils), the inadequacy of the Barclays Center for hockey, and all the other competition for the fans’ entertainment dollar in New York, it’s probably a pretty close call. It was one of the best logos in all of sports. A green “W,” and a blue whale’s tail, neatly using the negative space to form an “H,” as in “Hartford Whalers.” Unfortunately, they don’t give out Stanley Cups for graphic design. The Whalers didn’t have a lot of success on the ice, winning just one playoff series in 18 NHL seasons before moving to North Carolina and becoming the Carolina Hurricanes before the 1997-98 season.But now there’s a chance the Whalers could resurface. The state of Connecticut is pursuing the New York Islanders, who are in danger of being kicked out of their woefully inadequate arena at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn. The team would play at the XL Center in Hartford, the Whalers’ former home.How successful might Whalers 2.0 be? In a 2013 study, I estimated that about 175,000 avid NHL fans live in the Hartford-New Haven metro area. That sounds bad, though it’s comparable to or slightly better than some of the lower-tier American NHL markets, including Columbus, Raleigh-Durham, Miami and Nashville (and better than Las Vegas, where the NHL is expanding). Furthermore, there’s potentially room for growth. According to our estimates, 7 percent of adults in the Hartford metro area were avid NHL fans in 2013. But the percentage is 13 percent in the New York metro area and 17 percent in the Boston metro area. If the Islanders or another team were to relocate to Hartford, the numbers would probably improve. The Hartford-New Haven media market is the largest in the U.S. without a “big four” sports franchise. But it’s only about one-eighth the size of New York’s media market (which includes Long Island and Northern New Jersey).Of course, the NHL’s last stint in Hartford didn’t exactly end successfully. Between the 1989-90 and 1996-97 seasons, the average NHL team’s revenues more than doubled, increasing from $22 million to $52 million, according to estimates from Forbes and Financial World magazines. But the Whalers’ revenues didn’t increase at all during this period, flatlining at about $25 million. That doesn’t adjust for inflation, so their income actually decreased on a real basis.