Lilac Fire finally 100 contained after 10 days of battling

first_img Posted: December 16, 2017 Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter Lilac Fire finally 100% contained after 10 days of battling SAN DIEGO (KUSI) — After 10 days of destruction, the Lilac Fire was 100 percent contained Saturday, fire officials announced.”A big thank you to our local, state and federal cooperators,” Cal Fire San Diego tweeted around 6 a.m. “We couldn’t do it without our great partnerships and teamwork.”In total, 1,659 firefighters and other personnel helped battle the blaze.The Lilac Fire destroyed 157 structures — many of them dwellings in the Rancho Monserate Country Club mobile home park in Fallbrook — and damaged 64 more. No human deaths were reported, but at least 46 horses died, many of them stabled at the San Luis Rey Downs Training Center in Bonsall.The Santa Ana winds that fueled the massive blaze returned earlier this week and were set to return again Sunday, though weaker than they were when the fire started.A fire weather watch was issued for San Diego County on Sunday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.Riverside, San Bernardino and Orange counties will be under a red flag warning during the same time period.Locally, fire agencies are bracing for any new fires, while in Ventura and Santa Barbara counties, fire crews are continuing to battle the even-larger Thomas Fire.That blaze, which broke out 12 days ago and is still only 40 percent contained, has now grown to the third-largest in California’s history at more than 259,000 acres burned. Full containment is not expected until early January.The 2003 Cedar Fire in San Diego County still holds the record as the state’s largest wildfire at 273,246 acres, while the 2007 Witch Fire and 1970 Laguna Fire, both in San Diego County, are also among the 10 largest in California history.center_img , December 16, 2017last_img read more

Kavanaugh accuser Ramirez contacted by FBI

first_imgJudge Brett Kavanaugh testifies during the Senate Judiciary Committee hearing on his nomination be an associate justice of the Supreme Court of the United States, on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC, US on 27 September. Photo: ReutersThe attorney for the second woman to accuse Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh of sexual misconduct said on Saturday that FBI agents assigned to investigate the allegations have contacted her.The announcement by Deborah Ramirez’s lawyer John Clune indicates that the FBI probe of Kavanaugh, ordered by US president Donald Trump on Friday, will look beyond separate allegations of attempted rape levelled against the conservative federal appeals court judge by Christine Blasey Ford at a dramatic Senate hearing this week.“We can confirm the FBI has reached out to interview Ms. Ramirez and she has agreed to cooperate with their investigation,” Clune said in a tweet. “Out of respect for the integrity of the process, we will have no further comment at this time.”Ramirez alleges that Kavanaugh exposed his penis to her during a drunken party at a Yale University dormitory, when they were undergraduates.Kavanaugh denies both Ford’s and Ramirez’s allegations.Trump on Saturday again backed Kavanaugh, calling him “a good man” and “a great judge.”Asked if he had a backup candidate for the Supreme Court seat, Trump told reporters: “I don’t have a backup plan. I don’t need a backup. I think he’s going to be fine.”Michael Avenatti, the attorney for a third Kavanaugh accuser, Julie Swetnick, said in an email to Reuters that his client has not been contacted by investigators.Ford, a California university professor, detailed for the Senate Judiciary Committee her claims that Kavanaugh tried to rape her at a party in 1982 when the two were still high school teenagers.If confirmed to a lifetime Supreme Court appointment, Kavanaugh would consolidate conservative control of the nation’s highest court and advance Trump’s effort to shift the American judiciary to the right.The allegations against Kavanaugh, with the backdrop of the #MeToo movement against sexual harassment and assault that has toppled a succession of powerful men, have riveted the country even as they raised doubts about his confirmation chances.Trump was forced to order the FBI investigation after Republican Senator Jeff Flake threatened to vote against Kavanaugh’s confirmation unless Republicans who control the Senate agreed to the new probe.Flake was supported by two other Republican moderates, Lisa Murkowski and Susan Collins, both of whom have not announced whether they would support Kavanaugh.Republicans hold a slim 51-49 majority in the Senate, making the votes of Murkowski and Collins crucial. Trump can afford to lose the vote of only one senator in his own party if all the Democrats vote against Kavanaugh and Vice President Mike Pence casts a tie-breaking vote.last_img read more

Pointers to lead youth to success

first_imgChandradhar PrasadYoung Bangladeshi engineer Chandradhar Prasad presently works for a US-based multinational engineering firm in Dubai. In 2017 he received the ‘Engineering Leader under 40’ award for his leadership qualities in the international market. Chandra is now determined to do something for the youth of Bangladesh. During a recent visit to Dhaka, he spoke to Prothom Alo about his struggle, his achievements and his dreams.Prothom Alo: As a young man with big dreams for the future generations of Bangladesh, can you tell us something about your vision?Chandradhar Prasad: My vision is to boost the morale of the Bangladeshi youth and help them realise the importance of skills and knowledge so that Bangladesh can be one of the top countries for skilled resources. I want to facilitate collaboration in terms of development of skills, entrepreneurship and awareness of trends in technologies.I would like to establish a leadership camp which will host leadership talks, youth connect, students connect, counselling, etc. In the long run, I want to set-up a platform to facilitate collaboration among parents, students, professors, industry leaders, foreign investors, recruiters, as catalyst to develop leadership skills.Prothom Alo: Your own story is quite inspiring, from Swandip to the sands of Dubai. Can you share your story with us?Chandradhar Prasad: Anyone born in Sandwip has to survive with courage. This is a small island surrounded by the sea, under constant fear of natural calamities. Students from Sandwip struggle restlessly to establish themselves.I completed my SSC from Sandwip and HSC from Mohsin College, Chittagong. I studied in the light of a kerosene lamp until SSC because there was no electricity there. I was fortunate to receive an ICCR scholarship from the Indian government to study engineering at the University of Pune. I completed my course in June 2010 and was hired by an MNC in Dubai from the campus during my 7th semester. That was one of my key achievements.Dubai has taught me to be active, hardworking and collaborative. In the last 8 years being in Dubai, I learned many advanced systems and acquired valuable futuristic knowledge. I would like to thank Dubai to enable me to receive the “Engineering Leader under 40” award from the US, the biggest achievement in my career. Prothom Alo: The large youth demographic in Bangladesh is being seen as an asset, but is beset with unemployment and other problems. What would you say about this?Chandradhar Prasad: Skills, expertise and strength of human resources define the roadmap of economic development. And in developing countries like ours, youth play an important role in the infrastructure of the country’s economy and intellectual assets. However, there is need for a culture which breeds brilliant ideas and great innovations.We are saturated with expectations of our parents, teachers, friends and family. We are not even given a chance to think about our strengths, skills and dreams. The large demographic of youth loses energy trying to fulfil the desires of others. The need is to create awareness of collaboration, leadership qualities and advancement of technologies.A large part of the youth feel that they are more powerful if they are involved with a political party for the sake of muscle power, but when multinational companies survey the workforce of any country, our youth don’t fit the bill as they lack skills, innovative minds, entrepreneurship, collaborative approach and overall leadership qualities. A skilled work force can bring large amounts of remittance to the country or the country can be the home of multinational companies from around the globe.Our education system is also responsible for this predicament. The university education curriculum should be reconstructed. Our professors don’t collaborate with industries and institutions of other countries to understand the gaps in skills and expertise of our students so that a strong and relevant curriculum can be drawn up.Entrepreneurs are also responsible as they don’t collaborate with institutions to help strengthen skills and expertise.Prothom Alo: How can these problems be resolved?Chandradhar Prasad: We need to create awareness that there is a problem. The youth have to display skills, expertise and strength so that recruiting agencies, firms can see returns on their investment. Every stakeholder must change their outlook and collaborate to bring about change and equip youth to deliver. We need to collaborate with other countries to upskill our expertise and move up the value chain to be a developed country in the near future.Prothom Alo: Do you have specific plans to do anything in Bangladesh?Chandradhar Prasad: I have already started working to create awareness of leadership qualities, change in mindset. I want to develop a programme to host a series of leadership talks boosting the morale of youth, personal counselling and more. I am inspired by Prothom Alo’s tremendous contributions to this nation, especially for the development of youth.The specific points I would like to make are:• Accepting that we have an emergency to realise the need for action• The youth need to feel the power of knowledge and skills to realise the importance of their strengths in developing their careers, economic growth etc.• The youth of Bangladesh lack in skills and expertise needed for the industries• Collaboration between industries and institutions is needed during the academic course to help students be assets of the organisations upon completing studies• The youth must work in collaboration to develop innovative ideas and implement these for bigger change in society and the country.• They must study trends in skills and expertise and acquire relevant certifications and training.• There must be collaboration between students from other countries for knowledge transfer, support and recruitment• Students must spend more time in laboratories and industries to understand technological trends and prepare for training and certifications.• They need to be disciplined to achieve realistic goals• They must be treated as leaders to boost their morale and equip them for complex tasks.• They need to use the social media to connect with entrepreneurs, investors from other countries to help them in their start-ups and initiatives. • The youth often move towards political parties, but it important for them firmly build their careers.last_img read more

M6 closed due to collision involving HGVs

first_imgGet the biggest Daily stories by emailSubscribeSee our privacy noticeThank you for subscribingSee our privacy noticeCould not subscribe, try again laterInvalid EmailThe M6 motorway is closed due to an accident involving a number of lorries tonight (Saturday February 9) The Southbound carriageway is closed from J18 to J17 following the accident shortly before midnight. The closure is likely to remain in place for several hours. A Highways England spokesman said:  “The M6 in Cheshire is closed southbound between J18 (Middlewich / Holmes Chapel) and J17 (Sandbach / Congleton) due to a collision. “Emergency services are at scene. The carriageway is closed between J18 and J17 due to the incident. “Road users are advised to follow the ‘Solid Black Square’ diversion symbol. “Please consider alternative routes and allow additional time for your journeys.” Read MoreNorth Staffordshire road closed due to ‘serious accident’   A North West Motorway Police spokesman said: “RTC J18-17 M6 SB the carriageway is closed and will be closed for an extended period of time.” Inrix reports the accident involves multiple lorries. Entry slip at J18 is also closed. Diversion – road users are advised to follow the ‘Solid Black Square’ diversion symbol.last_img read more