US swimmer Ryan Lochte apologizes for Rio incident SHARE Published: August 19, 2016 10:46 AM EDT Updated: August 19, 2016 11:32 AM EDT U.S. swimmer Ryan Lochte issued an apology Friday morning about an incident that occurred early Sunday at the Rio Olympics. Lochte initially said he and three teammates had been robbed at gunpoint, but Rio police discounted that on Thursday and instead said the swimmers vandalized a gas station bathroom and then paid some guards before leaving. Following is the full text of Lochte’s statement, posted to his Instagram account.___I want to apologize for my behavior last weekend – for not being more careful and candid in how I described the events of that early morning and for my role in taking the focus away from the many athletes fulfilling their dreams of participating in the Olympics. I waited to share these thoughts until it was confirmed that the legal situation was addressed and it was clear that my teammates would be arriving home safely.It’s traumatic to be out late with your friends in a foreign country – with a language barrier – and have a stranger point a gun at you and demand money to let you leave, but regardless of the behavior of anyone else that night, I should have been much more responsible in how I handled myself and for that am sorry to my teammates, my fans, my fellow competitors, my sponsors, and the hosts of this great event. I am very proud to represent my country in Olympic competition and this was a situation that could and should have been avoided. I accept responsibility for my role in this happening and have learned some valuable lessons.I am grateful for my USA Swimming teammates and the USOC, and appreciate all of the efforts of the IOC, the Rio ’16 Host Committee, and the people of Brazil who welcomed us to Rio and worked so hard to make sure that these Olympic Games provided a lifetime of great new memories. There has already been too much said and too many valuable resources dedicated to what happened last weekend, so I hope we spend our time celebrating the great stories and performances of these Games and look ahead to celebrating future successes. Do you see a typo or an error? Let us know.
LocalNews UPDATE: Welding sparks causes fire at NCCU by: Dominica Vibes News – January 13, 2015 Sparks from welding activity at the National Cooperative Credit Union’s (NCCU) Roseau branch was the cause of a fire at that organization on Tuesday 13 January 2015.Public relations officer of the Dominica Fire & Ambulance Services Wayne Letang confirmed to Dominica Vibes that sparks from welding activity in the basement of that building caused the fire.“It was reported that smoke was seen issuing form the building, upon arrival the fire officers found that there was some fire activity in the basement of that building”.“The situation was quickly brought under control and the place was ventilated,” Mr Letang said.He informed that the welding activity was taking place close to some of the insulation used for the air condition system and the insulation ignited.According to Mr Letang, there was no damage to the actual structure of the building and the cost of the damage done to the insulation is still being investigated.– / 16 Sharing is caring! 224 Views one comment Share Tweet Share Share