Former Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has been appointed as FIFA’s new chief of global football development, with the Frenchman set to oversee the growth of the sport plus technical matters, football’s world governing body said on Wednesday.The 70-year-old was recently linked with the Bayern Munich job following the sacking of Niko Kovac but said that while he was approached he was never a candidate for the job.Wenger will be the leading authority on technical matters on FIFA’s Football and Technical Advisory Panels involved in the International Football Association Board (IFAB) review and decision-making process on potential changes to the game’s laws.He will also be the chair of a technical study group.“I look forward to taking on this important challenge, not only because I have always been interested in analysing football from a broader perspective but also because FIFA’s mission… is truly global,” Wenger said in the FIFA statement.“I believe that the new FIFA we have seen emerging in recent years has the sport itself at the heart of its objectives and is determined to develop the game in its many different components. I know I can contribute to this objective and will put all my energy into this.”Wenger will also focus on educating coaches and contribute to the development of an executive programme that will help former professionals enter management.Wenger left Arsenal in May last year after a reign of 22 years during which he redefined the Premier League club and became their most successful manager.He led the Gunners to three Premier League titles – including in 2003-04 when his ‘Invincibles’ team went unbeaten for an entire season – as well as seven FA Cups and took Arsenal into the Champions League for 20 years in a row.
NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption PLAY LIST 02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award03:05Malakanyang bilib sa Phivolcs | Chona Yu UST enters UAAP Finals, topples La Salle in 5 sets The event was led by Neco Lambey, the head of the Caribbean Football Club and a highly experienced professional soccer coach from the Caribbean nation of Belize./atm “We would like to give the opportunity to some young Filipinos to experience the dynamism of football,” said EU Ambassador Franz Jessen in a statement issued on Sunday.Jessen said the event, which was held Saturday at the Alabang Country Club, aimed to strengthen the relationship between the EU and the Philippines in sports.AdChoices广告Ads by TeadsFEATURED STORIESSPORTSGolden State Warriors sign Lee to multiyear contract, bring back ChrissSPORTSCoronation night?SPORTSThirdy Ravena gets offers from Asia, Australian ball clubsAmong those football clubs that took part in the event were Gawad Kalinga, Dream Big Philippines, Ceres Alabang, Punta Fuego football club and Tali FC.Some European diplomats from the EU Delegation were also present at the Schuman Cup. Phivolcs: Slim probability of Taal Volcano caldera eruption Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard LATEST STORIES Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Eduard Folayang gets new opponent for ONE Manila card Pagadian on tighter security for 100,000 expected at Sto. Niño feast The Witcher series prompts over 500,000 reprints of Andrzej Sapkowski’s books MOST READ Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next LeBron James stretches lead in NBA All-Star Game fan voting Gretchen Barretto’s daughter Dominique graduates magna cum laude from California college Some 200 aspiring young Filipino football players joined the Schuman Cup on Saturday, May 4, 2019. (Photos from the European Union Delegation to the Philippines)MANILA, Philippines — About 200 young Filipinos aspiring to be football players participated in the recently concluded Schuman Cup, which consisted of friendly matches and a football clinic, in Alabang, Muntinlupa.Schuman Cup is the second ever Euro-Filipino Football Festival organized by the European Union (EU) Delegation to the Philippines with the support of the German Embassy.ADVERTISEMENT Will you be the first P16 Billion Powerball jackpot winner from the Philippines? Duterte says he will appoint Gamboa as next PNP chief View comments
1 Bournemouth players celebrate AFC Bournemouth will become the 47th football club to enter the Premier League after beating Bolton Wanderers 3-0 at Goldsands.Goals from Marc Pugh, Matt Ritchie and Calum Wilson secured all three points for the Cherries, who now need to avoid defeat at Charlton by a mammoth 19 goals to secure promotion.The social media world erupted after the full time whistle, with celebrities and ex professional footballers all joining in to congratulate the Dorset side on their success.
The Mater Dei High girls basketball team saw its chance to beat Artesia slowly slip away when Arielle McClellan nailed a 3-pointer with less than a minute left in regulation, and Mollie Williams converted all four of her free throws to help lead the Pioneers to a 48-39 victory at the Artesia Shootout on Saturday. McClellan finished with 15 points, while Williams finished with eight. Millikan 42, Magnolia 39: Coach Lorene Morgan tried several combinations of players and the Rams escaped with a narrow victory. With 9 seconds remaining in regulation, Samantha Marez was fouled, went to the free-throw line, and converted her shots to give the Rams some breathing room. “Everybody got into the game by the first half. Some of the combinations by the younger kids I thought was good,” Morgan said. “I am trying to give them some minutes for down the line. I think that our standard rotation didn’t come to play today. They just didn’t look like they were ready to play ball.” Marez finished with 13 points, Trevonna Cannon had her best offensive output of the season with 10 points and 10 boards, and Jackson added nine. Glendora 56, St. Matthias 35: Nicolette Phillips scored 15 of the Victorians’ 35 points, but her efforts couldn’t offset Glendora’s balanced attack. Santa Fe 52, St. Paul 37: Gabby Flores poured in 14 points for the Swordsmen, but it wasn’t enough. Earl Williams can be reached at email@example.com or (562) 499-1338. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGift Box shows no rust in San Antonio Stakes win at Santa Anita “A couple of 3s opened up (the game for us),” Artesia coach Scott Roczey said. “They were sagging inside on our post. Our post is our strongest point. Their last couple of possessions in the fourth quarter we got some good stops. It turned the game around.” Wilson 64, San Diego Horizon 26: Even an injury to Amber Harden, Wilson’s floor general, couldn’t slow the Bruins down against San Diego Horizon. A second left before halftime, the junior went to throw a prayer shot past half-court and a Horizon player undercut her, leaving her sprawled across the floor. She finished with eight points. Tenaya Watson led the Bruins with 17 points and 13 rebounds, Angie Perez added 12 points, and Leandra Sands tossed in 13. The Bruins return to Moore League play on Wednesday against Poly for what should decide the frontrunner for the crown. The Pioneers led by as many as eight in the first half but saw it disappear when a 3-pointer by Eshell Estrello brought the Monarchs within one. Mya Olivier converted both free throws to give the the Monarchs a 34-30 lead in the third quarter. The Monarchs fell behind again, but made another run, tying the score at 38 with 4:40 left. The Pioneers then scored 10 unanswered points to close out the game.
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWhy these photogenic dumplings are popping up in Los Angeles“In a few weeks he’ll be recovered, and he’ll return to his duties,” Lage said. Lage, who earlier denied reports Castro had stomach cancer, reiterated Sunday the Cuban leader was recovering well. “The operation that he underwent was successful, and he is recovering favorably,” Lage said. Cuban officials have provided no details and released no pictures of Castro since his surgery was announced a week ago – fueling speculation around the world about his condition. His brother Raul Castro, the defense minister, also has not been seen in public since the announcement. “How are you, Fidel?” Chavez said during his weekly TV and radio program, suggesting he believed the Cuban leader was watching. “We have reliable information of your quick and notable recuperation. HAVANA – Cuba’s vice president said Sunday that Fidel Castro would return to work in a few weeks after intestinal surgery that forced him to hand over power temporarily to his younger brother. “Fidel’s going to be around for another 80 years,” Vice President Carlos Lage said. Castro will turn 80 next Sunday. Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez said Castro was out of bed and talking after his surgery as messages wishing the Cuban leader a quick recovery poured in from Latin America’s leading leftists and Elian Gonzalez. In Bolivia to attend the country’s constitutional assembly, Lage was asked by reporters when Castro would be back at work. “Fidel Castro, a hug for you, friend and comrade, and I know you are getting better,” Chavez said. Talking by phone with Bolivian President Evo Morales later during the program, Chavez said that Castro was bouncing back quickly. “This morning I learned that he’s very well, that he is already getting out of bed. He’s talking more than he should – because he talks a lot, you know. He has sent us greetings,” Chavez said.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREThe Christmas Truce of 1914 proved that peace is possible160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! WASHINGTON (AP) — The government is partially lifting its ban against carrying liquids and gels onto airliners, as long as they are purchased from secure airport stores, and will also permit small, travel-size toiletries brought from home, officials said Monday. A total ban on such products, instituted after a plot to bomb jets flying into the United States was foiled, is no longer needed, said Transportation Security Administration chief Kip Hawley. “We now know enough to say that a total ban is no longer needed from a security point of view,” Hawley told a news conference at Reagan National Airport. He said that most liquids and gels that air travelers purchase in secure areas of airports will now be allowed on planes. He called the new procedures a “common sense” approach that would maintain a high level of security at airports but ease conditions for passengers. That means that after passengers go through airport security checkpoints, they can purchase liquids at airport stores and take them onto their planes. New procedures also were announced for toiletries and products like lip gloss and hand lotion that passengers bring to the airport. Previously, those liquids have been confiscated at security checkpoints. Now, these products will be limited to 3-ounce sizes and must fit in a clear, 1-quart size plastic bag with a zip top. The bags will be screened and returned if they are cleared. The new security regimen is for an indefinite period and will take effect Tuesday morning. Tougher airport screening procedures were put in place in August after British police broke up a terrorist plot to assemble and detonate bombs using liquid explosives on airliners crossing the Atlantic Ocean from Britain to the U.S. At the time, the Homeland Security Department briefly raised the threat level to “red,” the highest level, for flights bound to the United States from Britain. All other flights were at “orange” and will remain at orange, the second-highest level, for now. “Obviously, there’s been a lot of unhappiness,” said Richard Marchi, senior adviser to the Airports Council International, an airport trade group. “They’re right to find a way to ease the burden and maintain a reasonable level of security.”
That is the highest level it has reached since 2011/12, with Manchester United coming out on top for the most club-trained players so far this term, making up 37.4 per cent of playing time.Young forward Marcus Rashford and Mason Greenwood have both been regulars for the Red Devils, with midfielder Scott McTominay also an ever-present under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer this season.United are followed by London duo Tottenham (29.5 per cent) and Chelsea (28.9 per cent) in the pecking order.Frank Lampard’s youth revolution at Stamford Bridge continues to show steady signs of progression, with striker Tammy Abraham, midfielder Mason Mount and defender Fikayo Tomori all successful products of the club’s academy. appointed PAYBACK Jadon Sancho has established himself as one of the world’s most prestigious young talents revealed The average first-team salaries at every Premier League club in 2019 latest Phil Foden is the only club-trained player that has appeared in Manchester City’s first team this season 2 Liverpool’s signings under Michael Edwards – will Minamino be the next big hit? AFP or licensors SORRY Liverpool transfer news live: Mbappe latest, Lille star wants to join Reds in future Saturday is GameDay on talkSPORT as we bring you THREE live Premier League commentaries across our network Unsurprisingly, Manchester City’s club-trained players have contributed just 0.8 per cent of minutes to their league campaign so far.Phil Foden is the only club-trained player that City boss Pep Guardiola has selected in the Premier League this season.While the overall figures for under-21s and club-trained players in the Premier League are still comparatively low, they are almost double the numbers they recorded for the 2016/17 season, when England was bottom of the top five European leagues (England, France, Germany, Italy, Spain).There is, therefore, increased hope for young English and club-trained players more so than before that they will get the opportunity to make a breakthrough via their respective academies – sooner rather than later. Gerrard launches furious touchline outburst as horror tackle on Barisic sparks chaos scrap getty images Sky Sports presenter apologises for remarks made during Neville’s racism discussion MOST READ IN FOOTBALL However, recent statistics show there is room for optimism that a new breed of teenagers will opt to remain in England to aid their development.That is owing to the fact game time for English players aged 21 and under at Premier League is at its highest level in 12 seasons, the CIES Football Observatory has revealed in its latest findings.For the first time since 2007/08, English under-21s have been afforded more game time (5.01 per cent of minutes) this season than their German (2.28 per cent) and Spanish (2.61 per cent) counterparts.Club-trained players – who by definition have spent at least three seasons at their current side between the age of 15 and 21 – have accounted for 12.23 per cent of playing time this season. Cardiff vs Sheffield Wednesday (Friday, 7:45pm) – talkSPORT 2Everton vs West Ham (Saturday, 12:30pm) – talkSPORTBlackburn vs Huddersfield (Saturday, 12:30pm) – talkSPORT 2Tottenham vs Watford (Saturday, 3pm) – talkSPORT 2Crystal Palace vs Man City (Saturday, 5:30pm) – talkSPORTWigan vs Nottingham Forest (Sunday, 2pm) – talkSPORT 2 Arsenal transfer news LIVE: Ndidi bid, targets named, Ozil is ‘skiving little git’ LATEST 2 ‘I’ll get him’ – Robertson further endears himself to fans with revenge vow to Mane Steve Round reveals how Mikel Arteta convinced him to join Arsenal staff TOP WORK The trend of young English talent moving abroad has soared over the last couple of years, with many opting to move on with their opportunities limited in the Premier League.Jadon Sancho is the most high-profile example, turning down a new deal at Manchester City to join Borussia Dortmund in 2017 – where he has flourished into one of the most-sought after players in the world. LIVE on talkSPORT Check out all the live commentaries coming up across the talkSPORT network this week
“We’ve had good results previously against them here in recent times and it’s a great game to be involved in.“The players are already looking at the Rangers game, it brings that excitement to go and perform and get a result.”Johnsen shone for Hearts with his double either side of the break, while the Norwegian-American also had one disallowed over a contentious offside decision.Neilson said: “Bjorn is a good player, it’s taken him a wee while to get used to the way Scottish football is. He came from Bulgaria and he hadn’t really played since January. Hearts boss Robbie Neilson says his players are now looking forward to the midweek Scottish Premiership clash against Rangers after dispatching of Motherwell.Bjorn Johnsen bagged a brace with Jamie Walker completing the scoring for the Jam Tarts in a comprehensive 3-0 win over Motherwell at Tynecastle.Neilson’s side will move back up to second if they beat Mark Warburton’s side on Wednesday and the Hearts boss highlighted how his players are now raring to go.He said: “It’s huge for us, it’s a massive game and a great game to be involved in – it’s a while since they’ve been there. “It was important we gave him time. I think he showed that he has real quality. He’s been playing well the last couple of games he’s been involved.“I think you can see he is a handful. His fitness levels aren’t where they could be, he’s still got a bit to go.”
Aodh Ruadh hurlers captured the Donegal junior hurling championship title for 2019 on Saturday with a 1-14 to 1-11 win against Carndonagh at O’Donnell Park in Letterkenny.It’s the Ballyshannon club’s first adult hurling championship title since 2002.Aodh Ruadh’s Ciaran Kilgannon was named as man of the match.Setanta are the Donegal senior hurling champions for 2019 after they beat St Eunan’s on Saturday.
Share This!Today is Wednesday, July 31, 2019.Here’s what you have to look forward to if you’re headed to Walt Disney World today.Park HoursMagic Kingdom: 9:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.Epcot: 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.Hollywood Studios: 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.Animal Kingdom: 9:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.Extra Magic HoursMagic Kingdom: 10:00 p.m.-12:00 a.m.Other HoursTyphoon Lagoon: 10:00 a.m.-8:00 p.m.Blizzard Beach: 10:00 a.m.-8:00 p.m.Disney Springs: 10:00 a.m.-12:00 a.m.Crowd Calendar LevelsMK: 6EP: 4HS: 5AK: 6Resort-Wide: 5Refurbs and ClosuresMK: Astro OrbiterMK: Walt Disney World RailroadHS: Voyage of the Little MermaidAK: Primeval WhirlParades and Nighttime EntertainmentMK–Festival of Fantasy: 3:00 p.m.MK–Happily Ever After Fireworks: 9:15 p.m.EP–IllumiNations: 9:00 p.m.HS–Fantasmic!: 9:00 p.m.HS–Star Wars Fireworks: 9:30 p.m.AK–Rivers of Light: 9:00 p.m.; 10:00 p.m.WeatherHigh: 91 / Low: 75Afternoon thunderstorms with a 50% chance of rain.Sunrise: 6:47 a.m. / Sunset 8:17 p.m.Special Events to NoteHS: Early Morning Magic–Toy Story Land 7:30 a.m.-9:00 a.m.