Senior judge says regional LIP support service closure ‘very worrying’

first_imgA regional manager of a charity that provides free support and guidance to litigants in person hopes to continue providing a local service after her branch closes next month due to funding pressures.Support Through Court, previously known as the Personal Support Unit, confirmed last year that it was closing some of its centres. The scheme will continue to operate from 18 courts in England and Wales.The Bournemouth branch closes next month. Since it opened in October 2016, the centre has helped clients over 6,000 times in cases involving, for instance, domestic abuse, child custody and divorce. Manager Amy Metters is now trying to raise funds to keep a service going beyond March. The service would not be provided under the Support Through Court banner.His Honour Judge Martin Dancey, the designated family judge for Dorset, said: ‘It is very worrying that Bournemouth is to lose this vital service. I very much hope that Amy Metters and her team of dedicated volunteers are able to find a way of continuing their excellent work in Bournemouth.’  His Honour Judge Martin DanceyMetters said sustainable funding was the long-term goal ‘but if we are able to raise funds for a year, this would give more time to establish long-term funding options. Without this, the future of the service looks bleak’.Support Through Court helped individuals on over 75,000 occasions between April 2018 and March 2019. The charity supports people facing family, immigration, housing, employment and bankruptcy court hearings. Government funding makes up 40% of the charity’s annual £1.4m budget. Cost per contact is just under £20. Annual contacts have risen by 10,000 on average in each of the past four years.Eileen Pereira, chief executive, said: ‘Last year we faced some stark choices as a charity in order to financially safeguard our future – and sadly the decision was taken to close the doors of our Bournemouth branch. This means there will be no free court support in the area, with the closest Support Through Court offices being in Bristol, Exeter or London, despite the commitment of many talented local volunteers.’Pereira told the Gazette that the Preston branch closed last December and Southampton will close by the end of March. West London was supposed to close. However, Pereira said: ‘We have had amazing support from the volunteers, justices and HMCTS re West London Family Court. The manager took voluntary redundancy and left at Christmas. Our volunteers have stepped up to the plate and since January have been running a satellite service three days per week in the court with management oversight being led by our manager at the Central Family Court.’This has been a very positive outcome for our clients in the court and we are very grateful for the support of all those involved.’last_img read more

Fukuhara still in hunt for title

first_img IN FIVE EASY PIECES WITH TAKE 5 Ai Fukuhara got off to a winning start Friday, advancing past her opening fourth-round match in the women’s singles at the Table Tennis National Championships. Fukuhara, who has already booked her spot for this summer’s Beijing Olympics but is in a bid to win her first national title, downed Ayumi Yoshida 4-2 while Sayaka Hirano and 2007 semifinalist Kasumi Ishikawa also reached the fifth round. The 19-year-old Fukuhara got off to a jittery start, falling behind 2-1 before settling down to win three straight games at Tokyo Metropolitan Gymnasium. But she appeared nervous and stiff throughout and failed to use her forehand effectively. Miyu Maeda, an 11-year-old elementary school student, beat Hime Togo in full sets in the third round before bowing out to 2007 quarterfinalist Moemi Terui in the next round. In men’s singles action, Aomori Yamada high school student Jun Mizutani, who became the youngest to win a national title at 17 years and 7 months last year, advanced to the fifth round along with Yo Kan and four-time champion Koji Matsushita. GET THE BEST OF THE JAPAN TIMESlast_img read more

Girls, you lost this: Hockey playboy is the husband and father…

first_imgAlthough Petr Nedvěd did not betray his friends from the wet district and said goodbye to the parties once and for all, he is currently enjoying completely different pleasures. After his wife Nicole gave birth to her daughter Naomi at the end of July today, he is mainly a full-time husband and father.He doesn’t even have a problem with family shopping, which so many men hate from the bottom of his heart, and when it comes to it, he suffers it. Not so successful hockey player and businessman. When it comes down to it, he loads everything he needs into a car and goes out with his family to get everything he needs. We found Nedvěd’s husband and daughter Naomi in their favorite store, Špajz. He now offers an e-shop with delivery in Prague, so Petr tried out the possibility of online shopping with delivery to the car. And you praised him enough. After all, he didn’t like those purchases so much again.“I connected it directly with a visit from a friend who operates a shop with local products and delicacies of international farmers, “ Nedvěd let himself be heard, who cared a lot about what his loved ones would eat.They stayed in shopping for a while. Little Naomi was asleep, so the famous parents could indulge in a moment just for themselves. There was also a favorite ice cream. Then the hockey player loaded things into a suitcase and they could go home together.Looking at this happy family, it is clear that it was worth the wait and not to hurry. The best came two years before the significant jubilee. And it must be said that Petr Nedvěd does not look at him by any chance!last_img read more

Most of Ravens secondary continues to be sidelined during practice

first_imgOWINGS MILLS, Md. — Completing their final full practice before the preseason finale in New Orleans, the Ravens continued to be without most of their projected starting secondary on Tuesday.Cornerbacks Jimmy Smith (chest), Lardarius Webb (back), and Asa Jackson (ankle) and safety Matt Elam (leg) were not working on Tuesday afternoon as the Ravens desperately try to get their secondary healthy for the season opener against the Cincinnati Bengals on Sept. 7. Jackson was doing some running and working on his lateral movement with head athletic trainer Mark Smith during the portion of practice open to the media. Webb was an observer on the practice field as he has been periodically since being stricken with back spasms on July 25.Running back Bernard Pierce (concussion), offensive tackle Jah Reid (concussion), and defensive tackle Terrence Cody (hip) were also missing from Tuesday’s practice. Head coach John Harbaugh downplayed the significance of Pierce’s concussion Monday while also acknowledging that recovery time can often be unpredictable.“I was told by Mark [Smith] he’s feeling a lot better today,” Harbaugh said. “It was described as a mild concussion. Nowadays, with those things, I don’t take any stock in that until they tell me that he’s back. The concussion thing is just hard to predict.”Wide receiver Kamar Aiken returned to practice a day after sitting out. He is currently competing for one of the last spots on the 53-man roster with final cuts needing to be made by 4 p.m. on Saturday.last_img read more