Outbreak region passes full week with no new Ebola cases

first_imgFor the first time since March 2014 when the World Health Organization (WHO) was first notified of a rapidly growing Ebola outbreak in southeastern Guinea, the affected region went a full week without any new lab-confirmed cases, according to an update today.The WHO, however, cautioned about a remaining risk due to several high-risk contacts linked to recent transmission chains that have been lost to follow-up in both Guinea and Sierra Leone.The encouraging further drop in cases means the outbreak region has stayed below 10 confirmed cases for 11 straight weeks and comes just 2 days after the WHO’s Ebola emergency committee recommended that the situation still warrants a public health emergency of international concern as defined by the International Health Regulations.Country-specific situationsGuinea’s drop to zero cases last week followed a spurt of four cases the week before, all of them with links to the country’s last known transmission chain, based in Conakry’s Ratoma area. The WHO said 509 contacts are still being monitored in three of Guinea’s districts: Conakry, Coyah, and Forecariah.The WHO warned that over the past 42 days, responders have identified but haven’t been able to trace 290 contacts from four of Guinea’s districts: Conakry, Coyah, Dubreka, and Forecariah. The country’s four most recent cases were reported in late September from two villages in Forecariah district. All were infected by an unregistered contact of a probable case linked to the Ratoma transmission chain.Door-to-door case finding efforts have been under way in Conakry and in several villages in Forecariah district to address the risks posed by the contacts who were lost to follow up.Meanwhile, Sierra Leone has gone 3 weeks without a new case, and as of Oct 4 all contacts related to the country’s last two known transmission chains completed their monitoring. The last patient was discharged from treatment in Kambia district on Sep 26, which started the country’s 42-day countdown toward Ebola-free status.Officials, however, still haven’t been able to trace two high-risk contacts, one each from Bombali and Kambia district. The WHO said responders will continue to search for them until 42 days have passed since the last case in each district.Overall totalsOverall, the number of confirmed, probable, and suspected Ebola cases in the two countries and Liberia is at 28,421 cases, with Sierra Leone reporting the most illnesses, followed by Liberia. So far 11,297 deaths have been reported, with the highest number in Liberia, followed by Sierra Leone.No new healthcare worker infections have been reported since Aug 26, keeping that total at 881, with 513 of them fatal.See also:Oct 7 WHO situation updateOct 5 CIDRAP News scan “WHO committee continues Ebola emergency, temporary measures”last_img read more

Should it be a crime to remove a condom during sex?

first_imgShould it be a crime to remove a condom during sex? Collier assistant teacher arrested for sex with student, supplying alcohol and drugs Do you see a typo or an error? Let us know. (WTSP) There’s a disturbing new trend with dangerous consequences. Men are taking off their condoms during consensual sex, then bragging about it online.It’s called “stealthing,” according to Alexandra Brodsky, who conducted a study on the practice, the act could violate several civil and criminal laws.Brodsky details stealthing in a report she did for Columbia Journal of Gender and Law. In it, she profiles a doctoral student named Rebecca. While she’s not studying, Rebecca works for a local rape crisis hotline. She hears about stealthing a lot from students and says often times, callers start with, “I’m not sure this is rape, but…”Rebecca says she was a victim of stealthing when she was a freshman. According to Brodsky, the law is largely silent on it.It took almost no time for us to find students like Aubree Segismondi on the USF campus, who’ve at least heard of stealthing.“I’ve seen it in social media,” Segismondi said.“It’s not ethical and it’s not right,” added student Luana Dias.All seemed to agree it’s an unsettling and possibly dangerous sex trend.“Yeah, I mean you’re susceptible to STD’s, pregnancy, stuff like that. Emotional trauma,” said Jessi Rowe, in her third year at USF.A new study in the Columbia Journal of Gender and Law defines stealthing as a man secretly removing his condom in the middle of sex.The author of the study makes the argument that doing so should be treated as a form of sexual assault.Kathleen Kempke, with the Crisis Center of Tampa Bay, says she’s aware of the study – and the trend.“I have had other cases that I’ve been very similar to this,” Kempke said.As far as the crisis center is concerned, a person who feels violated is a victim.“And they deserve the same kind of services and support that a victim that is raped by a stranger or a raped by an acquaintance would get,” Kempke said.The study also pointed to online forums. Men, bragging about stealthing. How to get away with it. Even suggesting it’s their right to, “spread one’s seed.”“I think they should find a mate that’s willing to procreate with them at the time,” said USF Junior Joseph Aldrich, “But if they have a condom on, then there’s not an idea of procreation. It’s more for pleasure.”As far as using existing statutes to prosecute stealthers in Florida, “As of yet, that statute does not exist,” said Tampa Defense Attorney Hunter Chamberlain.Chamberlain says stealthing, while despicable, could be difficult to prove as a sexual assault, since the sex itself was initially consensual.“To change this from a legal behavior to an illegal behavior, the legislature or the courts are going to have to further define what consent means,” Chamberlain said.The study concludes existing laws don’t specifically cover stealthing, despite the heightened risk of pregnancy and even public health risk associated with spreading sexually transmitted diseases.Most we spoke with, agreed with USF student Aubree Segismondi.If a law doesn’t already exist, she said, “There should be.”You can read the full report from Brodsky here. Published: April 26, 2017 11:33 AM EDT Fort Myers attorney denies lawsuit claims of ex-employees’ rape, other sex crimes SHARE Recommended Author: WTSP last_img read more

Scoreboard roundup — 5/4/18

first_imgiStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) — Here are the scores from Friday’s sports events:INTERLEAGUEHouston 8, Arizona 0AMERICAN LEAGUEN.Y. Yankees 7, Cleveland 6Tampa Bay 6, Toronto 2Boston 5, Texas 1Minnesota 6, Chicago White Sox 4Kansas City 4, Detroit 2Oakland 6, Baltimore 4L.A. Angels 5, Seattle 0NATIONAL LEAGUEWashington 7, Philadelphia 3Colorado 8, N.Y. Mets 7Cincinnati 4, Miami 1San Francisco 9, Atlanta 4Pittsburgh 6, Milwaukee 4St. Louis 3, Chicago Cubs 2L.A. Dodgers 4, San Diego 0NATIONAL BASKETBALL ASSOCIATION PLAYOFFSNew Orleans 119, Golden State 100Houston 113, Utah 92NATIONAL HOCKEY LEAGUE PLAYOFFSTampa Bay 4, Boston 3Vegas 5, San Jose 3Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.Powered by WPeMatico Relatedlast_img