By Douglas McIntosh, JIS Reporter Advertisements Port Royal to be on UNESCO list of World Heritage Sites CultureMay 29, 2012 FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail The Jamaica National Heritage Trust (JNHT) has commenced work towards securing Port Royal’s inclusion on the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation’s (UNESCO) list of World Heritage sites. The process involves a series of activities, focusing mainly on the portions of the Sunken City, and adjoining areas over which the town’s existing layout was built, culminating with the preparation and submission of the nomination dossier to UNESCO in July 2014. Port Royal is currently on UNESCO’s World Heritage tentative list, having been so placed in February 2009. One of the activities, an assessment of the sites, was conducted over the last week by a team, headed by Professor of the Nautical Archaeology programme, Anthropology Department, Texas A&M University, in the United States, Dr. Donny Hamilton. Speaking at the presentation of the findings, at the Morgan’s Harbour Hotel, Port Royal, on May 29, the JNHT’s Technical Director in charge of Archaeology, Dorrick Gray, said the week-long exercise entailed visiting and viewing the sunken structures beneath the sea, within the harbour, and under the town’s existing buildings and general layout, totalling upwards of 51 acres, the state of which is well preserved. He said the team also undertook identification and defining of the boundaries encompassing the area to be nominated to the World Heritage list. These, he said, entailed the 51-acre core zone, which sank during the 1692 earthquake, and a buffer zone, which has been established to protect the former. Describing the week of activities as “fruitful,” Mr. Gray said activities to be undertaken and pursued over the ensuing months would be critical to preparing the nomination dossier for Port Royal. These, he informed, include consultations with all stakeholders in the town, including the residents. Additionally, he said UNESCO, which assisted the JNHT in carrying out the assessment, would be seeking to strengthen the nomination process by staging a number of workshops incorporating the agency. “We have a programme that we have to embark on, as of now. It has been amplified and strengthened and we can’t stop until 2014. It’s a long way and it’s a lot of work. But I am confident that with all the persons who have been a part of the process, we will meet the deadline,” Mr. Gray assured. In his remarks, Chairman, JNHT Board of Trustees, Ainsley Henriques, described Port Royal as a “very important aspect” of Jamaica’s history, which “tells lots of stories” about the country’s heritage. “I charge our (JNHT) Heritage Sites Department to see, along with the citizens of Port Royal, that everybody understands this,” Mr. Henriques urged. RelatedPort Royal to be on UNESCO list of World Heritage Sites RelatedPort Royal to be on UNESCO list of World Heritage Sites RelatedPort Royal to be on UNESCO list of World Heritage Sites
Twitter WhatsApp The Letterkenny Chamber has launched a new initiative to offer vacant premises on the town’s Main Street to interested parties to use them as temporary, low cost space for businessThe Pop-Up Shop initiative will offer temporary, low cost space for local business entrepreneurs, social enterprise or community benefit.The Chamber says the main aims of the initiative are to reduce the visual impact of empty property, increase footfall and attract new visitors by providing a range of exciting businesses activities and exhibitions.The Letterkenny Chamber Chief Executive is Toni Forrester – she says they wish to complement and not displace existing businesses:[podcast]http://www.highlandradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/tonirawPOP.mp3[/podcast] Facebook Today is the 30th anniversary of Eddie Fullerton’s murder Twitter Previous articleDonegal County Council records lowest staff sick days and intends to improve furtherNext articleCouncil winter ready as it launches new Interactive Roads Gritting map News Highland Disruption to cancer service will increase mortality – Oncologist Google+ Letterkenny Chamber launches Pop-up shop initiative to boost Main Street WhatsApp Hospitalisations rise as Donnelly suggests masks will stay ’til autumn Pinterest 45 new social homes to be built in Dungloe RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Pinterest News By News Highland – December 4, 2013 Google+ Donegal hoteliers enjoy morale boost as bookings increase Facebook Consultation launched on proposal to limit HGV traffic in Clady
Algeria’s parliament confirms Bensalah as interim president FIFA’s president Blatter resigns President Jacob Zuma resigns Moad Bouchareb has been replaced by Terbech Abderazak on an interim basis. Moad Bouchareb on Tuesday resigned as the president of Algeria’s parliament following prolonged protests against him, local Annahar TV reports.Bouchareb quit his position three months after long-serving president Abdelaziz Bouteflika resigned, also after persistent anti-government demonstrations.The country was due to hold a presidential election on 4 July, but it was postponed indefinitely as no candidates declared their intents to run.“Bouchareb has resigned as the boss of parliament, he will be replaced by a caretaker before a new one is named,” Reuters quotes a parliamentary source. The source said Terbech Abderazak, a member of parliament, would take over the job temporarily.Even after Bouteflika resigned from the presidency on 2 April, public pressure has continued with demands for the departure and prosecution of the people who served under him.Bouchareb is a former head of the National Liberation Front (FLN) party, which has ruled Algeria since independence from France in 1962. Bouchareb was replaced as FLN leader in May.Bouteflika ruled the north African nation for nearly 20 years, and had declared an intent to seek re-election this year.The 82-year-old suffered a stroke in 2013, and was rarely seen in public thereafter.Related
Ghanaian boxer Maxwell Amponsah has been disqualified from the London Olympic Games boxing event on medical grounds.Joy Sports correspondent at the Games, Tony Bebli confirmed the news on the Joy Sports Link on Saturday afternoon.Amponsah underwent surgery at the 37 Military Hospital after suffering a broken jaw at the African qualifiers in Casablanca, Morocco in May.He was declared fit by medical doctors after his rehabilitation and joined the boxing contingent for an AIBA pre-Olympics camping in Cardiff.But when Joy Sports contacted Black Bombers Team doctor Ken Aryeetey, he declined to comment but investigations reveal he was sidelined by the Ghana Olympic Committee in the decision of sending the boxer to the Olympic Games.The heavyweight was scheduled to fight Chinese Xuanxuan Weng on Saturday at the multi-sport event. His absence has reduced Ghana’s already lean size contingent to eight and the number of boxers diminishes to three with Duke Micah, Sulemana Tetteh and Isaac Dogbe.The 25-year-old led Ghana’s contingent at the opening ceremony of the Olympics on Friday night.
Last week, the 36 clubs in Germany’s top two tiers agreed to a four-point proposal by the German Football League (DFL) which could see fans return to stadiums despite the coronavirus pandemic.Clubs agreed to sell personalised tickets to track spectators, no away fans for the rest of 2020, no alcohol allowed until October and fans seated only, with terraces to remain empty.The plans, however, must first be approved by the German government.Politician Dilek Kalayci, chairman of the conference of Germany’s health ministers which met Monday, poured cold water on the league’s hopes.“We do not intend to pass a resolution on the DFL’s hygiene concept,” Kalayci told newspaper Berliner Morgenpost before the conference.“Professional football is not at the top of the health ministers’ priority list.”Germany’s top flight clubs lose several million euros in lost match revenue for every home game played behind closed doors.However, the number of the coronavirus are rising slightly in Germany with 436 new cases in the last 24 hours and a total of around 9,000 deaths.The final nine rounds of league matches last season were all played behind closed doors.Frizt Keller, the president of the German FA, has raised the idea of mass testing of spectators next season, but Kalayci torpedoed the idea.“The idea that, among other things, all fans in stadiums could be tested is viewed critically by the majority of ministers,” Kalayci added.“Especially because before and after the game, no one can exclude and control large crowds of people and alcohol consumption.“We currently need the testing capacity in many other areas – for example, schools, daycare centres, nursing homes, hospitals and people returning from travel.”Meanwhile, the Marburger Bund, the association and trade union for doctors in Germany, also warned against a return of fans to the stadiums.“The danger of a mass infection would be real,” chairperson Susanne Johna told the Neue Osnabruecker Zeitung newspaper.“If we are unlucky, a ‘superspreader’ would sit among the fans and the virus will spread like wildfire.“Someone may not have any symptoms at all yet, but still his throat is already full of the virus.“And with the shouting and cheering (at a game), it (further infections) can happen in a flash.”Johna says she has sympathy for the league’s attempts to bring spectators back, “but the fact that their concept would prevent infections is unrealistic, in my opinion”.She doubts fans can be expected to keep their distance during matches, because when a goal is scored, “you hug each other and don’t think of corona”.
By Bonny Burrows A generous donation has taken the Cardinia Environment Coalition one step closer to realising a long-time dream…[To read the rest of this story Subscribe or Login to the Gazette Access Pass] Thanks for reading the Pakenham Berwick Gazette. Subscribe or Login to read the rest of this content with the Gazette Digital Access Pass subscription.
Watch Serie A live in the UK on Premier Sports for just £11.99 per month including live LaLiga, Eredivisie, Scottish Cup Football and more. Visit: https://subscribe.premiersports.tv/ Juventus v Genoa Juventus: Buffon; Cuadrado, Bonucci, Rugani, Alex Sandro; Khedira, Bentancur, Matuidi; Bernardeschi; Dybala, Ronaldo Genoa: Radu; Ghiglione, Romero, C Zapata, Ankersen; Schone, Cassata; Agudelo; Pandev, Pinamonti, Kouame Lazio v Torino Lazio: Strakosha; Patric, Acerbi, Radu; Marusic, Milinkovic-Savic, Cataldi, Luis Alberto, Lulic; Caicedo, Immobile Torino: Sirigu; Izzo, Nkoulou, Lyanco; De Silvestri, Baselli, Meitè, Lukic, Laxalt; Zaza, Belotti Udinese v Roma Udinese: Musso; Becao, Troost-Ekong, Samir; Ter Avest, Mandragora, Jajalo, De Paul, Sema; Okaka, Lasagna Roma: Pau Lopez; Santon, Smalling, Fazio, Kolarov; Mancini, Veretout; Zaniolo, Pastore, Kluivert; Dzeko Sassuolo v Fiorentina Sassuolo: Consigli; Toljan, Marlon, Romagna, Peluso; Duncan, Magnanelli, Djuricic; Berardi, Caputo, Boga Fiorentina: Dragowski; Venuti, Milenkovic, Pezzella, Dalbert; Benassi, Pulgar, Castrovilli; Sottil, Boateng, Chiesa Check all the official line-ups from this evening’s six Serie A games, including Lazio-Torino, Sampdoria-Lecce and Sassuolo-Fiorentina. They kick off at 20.00 GMT, you can follow the build-up and action as it happens on the LIVEBLOG. Cagliari v Bologna Cagliari: Olsen; Faragò, Pisacane, Klavan, Pellegrini; Nandez, Cigarini, Rog; Nainggolan; Joao Pedro, Simeone Bologna: Skorupski; Mbaye, Bani, Denswil, Krejci; Dzemaili, Schouten, Soriano; Orsolini, Santander, Sansone Sampdoria v Lecce Sampdoria: Audero; Depaoli, Ferrari, Colley, Murru; Ekdal, Vieira, Barreto, Bertolacci; Bonazzoli, Quagliarella Lecce: Gabriel; Meccariello, Lucioni, Rossettini, Dell’Orco; Petriccione, Tachtsidis, Tabanelli; Shakhov, Lapadula, Falco
Day Three was moving day for the 2008 School Sport Australia Combined Touch Tournament.In the 15’s Boys, ACT and WA progressed to the top four to do battle with formidable NSW and QLD line-ups. ACT and NT did likewise in the 15’s Girls.In the 12’s Boys, NT progressed to the top pool as did SA in the 12’s Girls.The 12’s teams were treated to a clinic on Thursday morning with the Blackest Cats. Tony El-Takchi and Amy Hope flew down to teach the younger players some skills in the scheduled primary activities timeslot. Tony and Amy session has both participants and parents captivated as they took around 150 players for an hour. Players got valuable advice from two of Australia’s greatest players and immensely enjoyed the session.Tony and Amy also provided coaching expertise to many teams during the week, holding additional coaching session and proving advice from the sub-box.They were also stars in the Celebrity Game taking place after the completion of Thursday’s matches. Roles were reversed with the players offering advice to their coaches who also took part in the match which included expert commentary from leading junior referee, Bri Berry.For further information, visit the School Sport Australia Touch website – http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?c=14-4282-0-62519-0
About the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your say Chelsea striker Morata lacks confidence – Zolaby Freddie Taylor10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveChelsea assistant Gianfranco Zola believes Alvaro Morata is lacking confidence.The Spaniard has scored just five goals this season and has been linked with an exit this month.But Zola has assured fans that the goals “will come” from Morata.”Mainly it’s confidence. I’ve been a striker myself and when you get into these loops where you’re looking for the goal all the time and it doesn’t come, you lose confidence. “The less confidence you get the less you’re going to score. It’s one of those things that happens frequently with all players.”Alvaro has to understand for us it’s important when he scores, but also when he comes and plays and does all the things important for the club. The goal has to be only a consequence of what you do for the team. The way we play always helps the front players to score. But, you have to keep working for the team to participate to the process. The goal will come.”
LeBron James Ohio StateCleveland Cavaliers superstar LeBron James is a known Ohio State fan. Apparently, he also roots for Buckeyes alums at the next level, too.After former Ohio State running back Carlos Hyde, now a San Francisco 49er, lit up the Minnesota Vikings for 168 yards and two touchdowns, James reached out via FaceTime to congratulate him. Via 49ers.com:In a recent sit-down interview, the San Francisco 49ers running back said that besides hearing from his mom, his favorite postgame call or text came from a certain NBA superstar.“I heard from LeBron James. Me and LeBron have the same trainer, David Alexander, down in Miami,” Hyde said. “After the game I FaceTime’d LeBron and my trainer. They were super hyped.”Here’s the move Hyde pulled that set social media on fire. It was very similar to what OSU wideout Braxton Miller did week one against Virginia Tech.pic.twitter.com/ixWnSqMZRe— BRAXTON MILLER (@BraxtonMiller5) September 15, 2015It’s been quite a week for the former Buckeye. What will he do for an encore?